random thoughts

Friday, November 19, 2004

Discussion Section Episodes

My discussion section for Russian Lit is filled with ridiculous characters which, depending on the day, always consist of at least one person who takes any comment from the TA as a direct conversations and continues to talk while the rest of the class sits in silence and I laugh.

One of these characters has no name to me, so we shall call him Boy 1. He is relatively good looking, kind of a quiet kid, but when he talks he sounds like a combination of Dr. Evil and Comic Book Guy from Simpsons.

Then there is Mr. Euro, the typical smart attractive guy who just happens to dress very well and speak eloquently. He always comes in wearing fancy sunglasses, whips them off just before he sits down, and then looks intently into the distance of the blackboard.

There is Obviously English Major Girl, who speaks often and endlessly and with a performance of great moving emotion even if there is no reason.

My personal favorite is Billy. I didn't even know he was in our class until the other day. He is a well built nice looking guy who came in late one class, just after the TA started asking the class a question. As soon as she finishes we all sit in silence. Then this kid who just came answers her in a seventeen page essay. When he finishes, the TA is just staring at him. He whips off his sweatshirt in one swift motion made with only one hand. She continues to stare at him. She asks "What's your name?" "Billy." She continues staring at him, "Yes. Billy." She finally blinks and continues class.

Okay so maybe these stories aren't amusing to you, but they are amusing to me and every class I come out going 'who ARE these people?' and every class I try to hold in my laughter. Discussion sections are obviously very productive for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter